To see my composting toilet business website

or for help with an existing or planned composting toilet or urine collection system, please visit
For more general information and musings about human manure and agriculture, please read on...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Update on sustainable toilets in Central America


I have recently returned from Central America, where I was training extensionists to build and maintain dry, urine-diverting toilets. See page four of Sustainable Harvest International's spring newsletter for a summary of my work there.

These toilets keep pee and poop separate. The pee, which is sterile, can be diluted and used as a liquid fertilizer. The poop is treated over time with heat from a solar collector, which destroys germs. Then it can be used to improve soil. How cool is it that with a little concrete, wood, and metal you can turn a farmer's toilet into a fertilizer factory?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Abe,
    Nice to connect (again) with a fellow poop person. And great blog. You write quite well.

    I'd like to do one of the "sustainable toilets" on our farm...maybe not for customers @ first and maybe not even for my family @ first (they, like a lot of folks think it's weird), but for ME! You know how much it would cost to build one?
    I admire your work!

    Please say hello to Lisa for me. We used to work together at Sajen, I have very fond memories of her and would love to reconnect.

    Cheers, - Belle aka Lara Darrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Belle. Thanks for your kind words! I'll tell Lisa you say hi.

    There are such a range of choices for composting toilets and prices. You can build one yourself that costs very little, buy a big pre-fabbed system that costs thousands of dollars, or do anything in between. If you want to discuss some options, call me after mid-April and we can talk. My # is in the phone book under Noe-Hays.

    Cheers,
    Abe

    ReplyDelete
  3. excelente trabajo, siempre un ejemplo a seguir! estoy segura que la naturaleza agradece por todo ese trabajo y las comunidades en las que has trabajado también. Sigue adelante y esperos que nos veamos trabajando juntos en el futuro en nuevos proyectos en Las Mesas.
    Saludos desde Costa Rica. Noilyn Ramírez.

    ReplyDelete